Banana — one of the most consumed fruits in the world, has been proved as a source of potassium, fibre, magnesium, vitamin B6, among many others. This extremely delicious and convenient snack food has many health benefits as well.
However, once its skin turns dark, many people refuse to eat it. But, did you know overripe bananas can be used to prepare moist and delicious bread or cake, smoothies as well as many other dishes?
Also check: Easy pizza recipe
Here’s an easy recipe to prepare banana cake/bread using overripe bananas:
- All-purpose flour – 1 cup
- Baking powder – 3/4 teaspoon
- Baking soda – 1/4 teaspoon
- Salt – 1/2 teaspoon
- Eggs – 2 nos.
- White sugar/brown sugar – 1 cup
- Unsalted butter – 50 to 75 gm
- Vanilla essence – 1 teaspoon
- Mashed bananas
How to prepare?
Dry ingredients: To a bowl, sieve all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Keep it aside.
Preheat the oven at 180° C for 10 minutes.
Wet ingredients – part 1:
- Separate egg whites and yolks.
- Beat egg whites (2) with 1/2 cup sugar (add in small amounts) using a beater until they become stiff.
- Keep it aside
Wet ingredients – part 2:
- In a large bowl, beat unsalted butter, 1/2 cup sugar and egg yolks until they are mixed well.
- Add vanilla essence and beat the mixture for another minute.
- Add mashed bananas to the mix and beat for 30 seconds. (Do not over beat it as cracks will appear on the top of the bread/cake).
Mixing all the ingredients
To the previous mixture (wet ingredients – part 2), add dry ingredients and wet ingredients part 1 in batches. Use a spatula to mix them smoothly for less than 30 seconds.
Prepare the baking pan/silicone mould.
How to prepare the pan?
Rub a tablespoon of butter inside the pan until it’s completely coated. Put 1 tablespoon of flour into the pan so that it sticks to the butter. Dump out excess flour. You can also rub butter and use parchment paper according to the pan/mould’s size.
Add the cake/bread batter to the pan/mould. You can also put cashews or raisins on the top (optional). Cook the cake mix inside the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes at 180° C.
How to know if it’s cooked or not?
Insert a toothpick to the centre and sides of the loaf. If it comes out clean, your bread/cake is ready. Remove it from the pan/mould once it cools down completely in the room temperature.